For the last few months I have been connecting to the VPN at work via my O2 Wireless Box II quite happily until it suddently stopped working about 2 weeks ago which has caused me no end of headaches (tight deadlines looming etc). Each time I tried to connect I got presented with a “Error 619 – Disconnected”
I have had my laptop checked out by the IT guy and everything connected fine when it was in at the office and even my iPhone could connect to the VPN when using 3G but this Error 619 kept appearing each time I tried to connect to the work VPN via my O2 Wireless Box II using either the laptop or iPhone.
I had a sneaky suspicion that O2 had been in and done one of their remote updates so I logged into the router administration pages, noted the firmware number (22.214.171.124) currently running on my O2 Wireless II box and had a quick look around in Google for VPN issues with this firmware version. There were a number of people with a similar issue to mine but it seems that the VPN issues are only related to PPTP VPN connections, which is the type of VPN connection I was using.
I have managed to resolve this and get everything back up and reverting back to the older firmware version (126.96.36.199) and now I can connect to the work VPN again through my O2 Wireless II box.
The steps I took to sort this VPN connection issues are as follows:-
- Take a note of any static IP details (I did not actually do this step so I had about 30 minutes of paper rummaging as O2 Customer Services has closed by 2.30am)
- Follow the steps outlined in http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-upgrade-firmware/
- At step 4 run RT-585v7_74K4EJ.exe to revert to the 188.8.131.52 firmware version. Note this will result in a factory reset of your router and all configuration settings will be lost.
- Run router setup and get connected to internet again.
- Check VPN works
- Configure and secure LAN / WLAN
In addition to this I thought it would be a wise idea to stop O2 from coming back in and updating the firmware automatically again which would give me the same problems so I opted to disabled the port O2 use to do their automatic updates.
O2 Help – Lots of useful help regarding O2 broadband